- Get your character to have a stutter, every stutter adds word countage.
- One of your characters develops temporary deafness so your other characters have to repeat everything they say.
- Dream sequences work well for padding up your count.
- Citations - bring in someone else's book/poem/newspaper article that your hero has to read out.
- Make your characters names very very long. Sir Richard of The One Handed Sword Brigade, Knight of the Realm... hey this is getting good.
- De-hyphenate your words. Every hyphened word is two words drawn together. Get rid of your hyphens and you can almost double your word count. Hooray
Thinking of this I have been doing a little research. Here's someone who you'd never want to cheat on. Just think of him when you're tempted with de-hyphenation or dream sequences.