Monday, June 23, 2008

Monday Meter Maid.

I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!
I'd like to say I've been busy writing and forgot to get this post up, but...... I was sleeping. sigh
I guess all the writing I've been doing in the last two weeks has finally taken its toll. I'm exhausted! I've managed over 70,000 words in the past two weeks so you'd think I'd be jumping for joy, doing the happy dance, showing off my cheer leading skills wouldn't you? Nope, not happening. I'm sooooo shitty with myself. Why? I hear you ask, well, even with all those words, other than the rewrite I did for the editor, nothing, I repeat, NOTHING is finished! Nope not one stinkin' story has made it to the end. Now I know you're all sitting back going What!? Am I mad?! The answer to that is yes, both kinds of mad. Mad cross and mad insane. Yes I'm happy I've got all those words and each of the stories I've been working on is closer to The End but I want The End!
I'm a pantser (I'm probably worse) and I've tried for years to plot, bought all the books on how to write and nothing I've ever read or heard has helped me to curb my wondering ways. In saying that though, I do have 12 finished ms. Most will NEVER see the light of day. (they're my teething books) What I'm trying to get across, and for a writer I'm not doing a very good job here, but what I'm getting at is that each of us has a different way of writing. Some want to only write in daylight where they can see everything around them (plotters), some want to write at night with only their headlights to light the way (pantsers), some are in between both of those, and some, like me, prefer to fumble around in the dark. Which way is your way? Do you know? I can't do the daylight writing, the muse doesn't like the light, he's rather shy and refuses to come out and play if the lights are on. (Which is a damn shame because I'm sure my muse is one hot hunk!)
The point to this little post is for you all to understand that no matter what your word count meter reads you're writing, you're learning and you're moving forward. I've noticed some of you have discovered that you can't write by the seat of your pants, others have discover they can not only write lots but they're enjoying it. Others have discovered that life has a very bad habit of getting in the way. Each of us has taken steps toward our goal, publication. We've learned what we can and can't do, what we like and don't like about the writing process and best of all we've learned we have some AMAZING friends here in our cyber world.
As we near the end of this month I want you all to take a close look at what you've discovered. Don't worry about your word count, don't even think about how someone else wrote more than you, I want you to sit back and think about the WAY you write. Think about the things you've discovered about YOUR writing PROCESS. Think about the people you've met who've supported you and who you've supported in return. I know for me the best bit about this month isn't my word count. It's about great friends and discovery. Discovery of all the different ways there are to write, and like each of our stories every one of us is different.
I can't wait to see how the rest of the month goes. But don't think it's all gonna be over on June 30. No, there are rumors of editing month and I know the emails will continue to bounce back and forth between new friends. For now, bums down and fingers on the keys, we've still got time to write!
RC

7 comments:

Sandie Hudson said...

Yey you, I have at least finished two of my three WIP's the third one well, who knows were that pair has run off too. More than likely still having sex on the kitchen table. Whatever they are doing they are NOT TALKING to ME!!

So I have started one new WIP, did a little bit of work on two others and have some stupid girl running around in my head yelling "I'll perish if you don't get me out of here." I have absolutely no idea what she is going on about. Don't even know what she looks like just this high pitched scream. (So hope she is not a new heroine, because I don't think I like her very much.)

Anyway I have to head out again. This is why I hate having the car; I can always find things that I have to do.

Happy writing.
Hugs
Sandie

Tina C said...

Ouch... I can't believe I am having to report this one for the week. 250 words only, that brings my total to 11 773.

Reaching my 50 in 30 is going to be a miracle I am working hard at making happen today..

Sorry for the late post.

Bye 4 now
Tina
http://www.tinamclark.com
http://www.cyaconference.com

Anonymous said...

Last week's hasn't registered. Actually I think I gave up trying!
There's no way I'll make 50k but I'll try for 25k instead. Count on Sunday night was 15263
Neely

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel

If the rumours of an editing month are true, count me in. I have loved the experience of being a part of 50k in 30 days and am feeling a bit sad about the thought of it ending.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel

If the rumours of an editing month are true, count me in. I have loved the experience of being a part of 50k in 30 days and am feeling a bit sad about the thought of it ending.

Amanda said...

Great words there RC - this month has been one of the busiest in my year so far (of course!) with life just coursing its way into every minute of my day - I love the commraderie of this group and look forward to meeting those attending in August... so who is going?!

Amanda

Rachael Johns said...

I still can't believe how much you've written this month RC. WOWSERS!!

And Amanda - Í'll be at the conference. Can't wait!